Taking a holistic approach to supporting individuals with lymphoma, the workshops cover both general health and wellbeing issues, and provide essential information to promote and empower a positive and healthy lifestyle. The workshops contribute to the Recovery Package of the National Cancer Survivorship initiative.
Our Live your Life workshops are free one-day events developed to support people at the end of treatment or when on active monitoring, which can be a time of isolation and anxiety. We encourage individuals to bring a family member or friend on the day.
Workshops are facilitated by trained volunteers with lived experience of lymphoma, who bring their skills and experiences to the group, encouraging attendees to feel confident to interact and share their experiences in a safe environment and with people who understand.
The workshop follows a set programme, presented as five modules:
- being prudent, staying vigilant;
- coping with the emotional aspects of lymphoma;
- exercise, staying active and coping with the effects of treatment;
- diet and nutrition; and
- the practical aspects of living with lymphoma.
The workshop is designed to be relaxed and informal, and our small group size (up to 20 people) encourages discussion and interaction throughout the day. Attendees leave feeling connected, supported and empowered to manage their condition and regain a sense of control over their lives.
The impact of the workshops
Workshop attendees are encouraged to give feedback on the day, and to complete an evaluation survey, allowing us to help us understand the lasting impact of attending the workshops. As a result of attending a Live your Life event, attendees:
Feedback from nurses
Our Live your Life programme is designed to support the delivery of the health and wellbeing element of the cancer recovery package, and focuses on supporting self-management.
During 2019, we asked CNSs who have supported the programme for feedback on the workshops and the difference they feel it has made to individuals.
- 100% of respondents felt that the workshop helped to deliver the health and wellbeing event in the cancer recovery package.
- 100% said that it was important that workshop facilitators have lived experience of lymphoma.
- 100% said it was also valuable for family, friends and carers.
Interested in having a workshop in your area?
We ask for the following commitment from our CNS colleagues, all of which directly help us to support people to access the workshops.
We will provide all promotional material for you to contact relevant patients, either face-to-face, by post or through any other patient access channels, and invite them to attend the workshop.
- You will display advertising posters provided by us in your clinics and waiting rooms while booking is open.
- You will promote the workshop to your networks of CNSs in your area to enable as many people to attend and benefit as possible.
- You will be available to attend the entire workshop.
- You will be willing to contribute to the workshop on the day, including presenting information on lymphoma and answering any medical questions.
We will arrange all the logistics (venue, bookings, catering), and will provide you with promotional materials including posters and flyers.