Top of page

Making your activity safe and legal

Nothing should get in the way of your fundraising being fun!

If you’re organising your own event in aid of Lymphoma Action, make sure to consider some key legal and risk implications. Although we can offer you guidance in this section, you can find more information on the Institute of Fundraising website.

We’re here to help so just call us on 01296 619400 or email if you have any questions or would like to talk to us about your event.

Here are some simple things you can do to ensure everything runs smoothly:

Health and safety

Risk assessments are important for identifying, minimising and controlling any potential risk to all those taking part at your event, and members of the public who may be attending.

Download our risk assessment template and include any potential hazards at your event. Ensure that you include the provision of first aid cover if necessary, and where children are involved, have appropriate adult supervision and parental permission.  For more information about risk assessments, visit the Health and Safety Executive website.

Lymphoma Action cannot accept liability or any loss, damage or injury suffered by yourself or anyone else as a result of taking part in a fundraising event organised in aid of the Lymphoma Action.

Fundraising materials and publicity

All of your fundraising materials should make it clear that you are fundraising ‘in aid of’ Lymphoma Action. You can promote you activity online. Please contact us for explicit permission to use the charity’s logo and ensure that our registered charity numbers are featured  - Lymphoma Action is a registered charity in England and Wales (1068395) and in Scotland (SC045850). All printed artwork featuring our name and/or logo must be approved by Lymphoma Action before going to print.

Data protection

Personal data is any data that relates to and can identify an individual. If you’re recording personal data at your event, make sure it complies with the Data Protection Act. Personal data shouldn’t be stored any longer than necessary (i.e. after the event) and shouldn’t be used without their permission. The Information Commissioner’s Office outlines the key principles to data protection in more detail.


Public liability insurance may need to be considered, this will protect you against claims made by third parties for injury or property damage as a result of negligence. Public liability insurance is usually included in venue hire fees, whilst if you’re holding a private event (e.g. your own house), then insurance may not be necessary. However, it is important that any hired buildings or equipment are insured. Please seek advice from your local authority if you’re unsure.


Public collections take place in a public space. You need a licence from your local authority to collect funds on the street or in a public place or by going from house to house, it is illegal without one. Some popular premises for public collections, such as supermarkets and train stations, may require you to arrange public liability insurance. Please contact the fundraising team on 01296 619400, or at, before you approach your local authority for a license. 

Private collections take place on private premises and don’t require permission from your local authority - although you do need permission from the owner of the premises.

Raffles and lotteries

Raffles, lotteries and prize draws at your event must follow strict legal requirements - take a look at our information and please consult with our fundraising team at before organising to make sure everything is legal. If you are holding a raffle on the night of the event (i.e. not selling tickets in advance), then you will be able to use cloakroom tickets. More information about these rules can be found at the Gambling Commission.

Food hygiene

Selling or distributing food at your event (e.g. a cake sale) will require you to consider its safe preparation, storage, display and cooking. You will need to ensure that any caterers are licensed. Further information can be found at Food Standards Agency, under ‘Food Safety’ on NHS Choices and from your local authority.

Alcohol and entertainment 

Alcohol or public entertainment licenses may be required if your event involves the sale of alcohol, live or recorded music, art performances, sport or any entertainment of a similar nature. Speak with your local authority or look on their website for more information.

None of this is scary

We’re here to help so just call us on 01296 619400 or email if you have any questions.