Your medical team

If you have lymphoma, your care and treatment are planned and managed by a team of health professionals, known as a multi-disciplinary team (MDT). They can answer any questions you might have about lymphoma.

On this page

The multi-disciplinary team

Key worker

MDT members

What is a multidisciplinary team (MDT)?

A multidisciplinary team (MDT) is made up of various professionals, sometimes from more than one hospital. The exact set-up of the team differs slightly from one hospital to another. However, MDT members have specialist knowledge in different areas of care and support. They meet regularly to discuss and plan your treatment, taking your individual needs into account.

The person who has overall responsibility for your care is a doctor who is either a clinical oncologist or a consultant haematologist. They work closely with the other members of the MDT.

Back to top

What is a key worker?

You usually have a ‘key worker’, a person you can call for advice or if you have any questions or worries. Your key worker is a member of the MDT, usually your lymphoma/haematology clinical nurse specialist (CNS). You should be given their name and contact details. If you have not been given this information, ask for it.

Back to top

Who are the MDT members?

Although you see some members of your MDT regularly, you will not meet all of them.

In addition, some professionals are only involved in your care occasionally, as and when they are needed.

The people involved in your care might include:

pathologist iconPathologist – a doctor who looks at samples of your biopsy under a microscope and does tests on them to find out what type of lymphoma you have.

Radiologist iconRadiologist – a doctor who specialises in interpreting X-rays and scans. Radiologists also sometimes take biopsies to diagnose lymphoma.

Radiographer iconRadiographer – a health professional who performs X-ray, MRI and CT scans. Some radiographers also give radiotherapy treatment.

Support worker iconSupport worker – a support worker liaises closely with your keyworker to assist you, practically and emotionally, with cancer-related issues. These might include with any concerns about treatment side-effects and where to park when you go to medical appointments. They can help you access various sources of support, both within the hospital and in the community. A support worker may also help you to re-gain your ‘normal’ routine and sense of control, particularly once you finish treatment.

Medical oncologist  iconMedical oncologist – a doctor who specialises in treating people who have cancer.

Haematologist  iconHaematologist – a doctor who specialises in diseases of the blood, including lymphoma.

Clinical oncologist or radiotherapist iconClinical oncologist or radiotherapist – a doctor who specialises in treating people who have cancer with radiotherapy

Specialist nurse  iconSpecialist nurse – a nurse who specialises in looking after people with lymphoma. They can help you understand more about the disease and its treatment. Your specialist nurse (sometimes called a clinical nurse specialist or CNS) is usually also your key worker.

Research nurse / clinical research practitioner iconResearch nurse / clinical research practitioner – someone who can provide information, answer questions, and monitor your progress if you are taking part in a clinical trial

Dietitian iconDietitian – a health professional who can offer you advice on what to eat if you need to follow a special diet. They can also provide you with nutritional information and monitor your progress if you are taking part in a clinical trial

Social worker iconSocial worker – a professional who can help with non-medical needs. This could include arranging assistance with housework or helping you to find information about financial support

Occupational therapist iconOccupational therapist – a health professional who can organise special equipment to help you manage at home, such as stair-rails or bathing aids.

Physiotherapist iconPhysiotherapist – a health professional who can help with physical problems and pain. They use techniques such as exercises and massage to help you build back up your range of movement.   

Psychologists and counsellors iconPsychologists and counsellors – professionals who can help with your feelings and the emotional impact of your diagnosis and treatment. 

Palliative care specialist iconPalliative care specialist – a doctor or nurse who specialises in controlling pain and other symptoms. They are most likely to be involved if your lymphoma is no longer being actively treated. They can support your emotional and spiritual needs, too. 

Additional members of the MDT for children and young people

Young people aged 16–24 years old have an additional teenage and young adult multi-disciplinary team (TYA MDT). This team consists of health and social care professionals who specialise in the treatment of young people with cancer.

The TYA MDT can advise health professionals within the hospital MDT of the unique needs of young adults to help ensure they get the most appropriate treatment, care and support.

Children and young people’s social worker iconChildren and young people’s social worker – a professional who can help with non-medical needs including emotional wellbeing and support with practical things such as applying for benefits, education and employment.

Play specialist  iconPlay specialist – someone trained to work, using play, with young children, to help them understand more about their diagnosis and treatment. 

Young person’s community worker iconYoung person’s community worker – provides support to young people with cancer in the young person’s community. They aim to build resilience, social connections and help to manage issues relating to education and employment.

Youth support worker iconYouth support worker – someone who can arrange fun activities on the hospital ward. They may also organise social outings away from the hospital environment. You may hear this role called something else, such as a ‘youth support coordinator’.

CLIC Sargent have more information about the various professionals involved in care for children and young people.

Back to top

Further reading