The government has announced plans to roll-out booster COVID-19 vaccinations from September. The provisional plan – which might change – is that boosters will be rolled out on two stages:
Stage 1 (from September onwards)
- People aged 16 and over who have lowered immunity
- People living in residential care homes for older adults
- Adults aged 70 and over
- Clinically extremely vulnerable people aged 16 and over
- Frontline health and social care workers
Stage 2 (after Stage 1 is complete)
- People aged 50 and over
- People aged 16 to 49 who usually receive the flu vaccine
- Adults who live with someone with lowered immunity
Initial plans are to offer the COVID-19 booster at the same time as the annual flu vaccine.
We are pleased to see that those who live with immunosuppressed people are being included in the booster programme. This will help protect high-risk people who may not respond well to vaccination themselves.
1 July 2021