The COVID-19 pandemic has had a big impact on the charity sector with the cancellation of thousands of events and the loss of billions in income through fundraising events. The Virgin Money London Marathon alone, which should have taken place on Sunday 26 April, is the world’s biggest one-day fundraising event, which raised more than £66.4 million for thousands of charities in 2019.
So the 2.6 challenge has been created by mass-participation events organisers as a nationwide attempt to raise £67 million for UK charities on the day that the London Marathon was due to take place, 26 April 2020. They are asking everyone in the UK to become a home hero!
How to get involved
Taking part is simple – you just need to think of a sponsored activity based around the numbers 26 or 2.6 that you can complete on or from Sunday 26 April, set up a Virgin Money Giving or JustGiving page, share on your social media and invite your friends and family to donate. You can even nominate you friends to take part too! The lockdown means your challenge must take place at home, or outside during your daily exercise so long as you can do it safely and within the Government guidelines.
We have some handy tips for raising money online to help get you started. The event organisers of the 2.6 challenge have promised to match donations through Just Giving and Virgin Money Giving, so please use these platforms to take part.
Let us know you're taking part by getting in touch via social media (we're Lymphoma Action on Facebook, @LymphomaAction on Twitter, and @Lymphoma_Action on Instagram), or by emailing us at email@example.com.
Ideas for your challenge
It's completely up to you what you would like to do, but here is a list of suggestions to help get you thinking!
- Run or cycle for 2.6 miles or for 26 minutes
- Read a book in 2.6 hours or 26 hours
- LEAP for lymphoma and don your best bunny ears to hop 26 times, or for 26 minutes
- Make a three course meal using 26 ingredients from your cupboards
- Measure your garden and jog laps around it for 2.6 miles
- Sing karaoke for 2.6 hours
- Try a tongue twister - say 'lymphoma' over and over again for 2.6 minutes or 26 minutes
- Use live streaming - you can link Twitch to your JustGiving page and have a gaming marathon for 26 hours, hold a quiz for 26 people, or stream 26 hours of your favourite band
When you've completed the challenge don't forget to share pictures or videos of your challenge on social media using the official hashtag #TwoPointSixChallenge.