First of all, thank you so much for wanting to make a difference to people affected by lymphoma by shaving or cutting your hair!
Setting up a sponsored shave or cut is easy if you follow these simple steps...
- Plan a time and a location for the big trim! Will you do it at a salon? Or at home? And if you will be at home, who will be in charge of using the clippers or the scissors - will you be doing it yourself or asking a friend for help? Make sure you plan your event with enough time to spread the word about what you're doing so that people can sponsor you in advance.
- Set up an online fundraising page where your friends and family can donate to sponsor you - we would recommend using JustGiving, Virgin Money Giving, or setting up a Facebook fundraiser. Make sure that when you set up your page you:
- Tell your story - if people know why this fundraiser is important to you they are more likely to donate, so make sure you write in the description about why you are raising money for Lymphoma Action by shaving or cutting your hair
- Tell everyone about Lymphoma Action - if people know about the work we do, they will see how their donation could make a difference. You can find a nice summary here
- Explain how the money raised will help - did you know that £10 could help us send out award winning information booklets to newly diagnosed patients? We have a handy list of facts just like that here
- Spread the word - post about your fundraiser on social media to let everyone know you are raising money. This is the best way to ask for donations! You can ask your friends and family to help by sharing your fundraiser on their social media too, to reach even more people!
- Remind people about Gift Aid - Gift Aid allows charities to claim tax back on donations, so make sure you remind everyone who donates to check if they are eligible (they must be paying tax in the UK)
- Don't forget before and after photos! And you might even want to film or live stream your shave so that everyone can watch!
- That's it! Now you should be ready to brave the shave!
If your hair is long enough, you might consider braiding your hair first, cutting it off and then donating it to somewhere like The Little Princess Trust, who make wigs for children affected by cancer.
We will be here to support you all the way so please don’t hesitate get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.